Why Branding Matters for Independent Insurance Agencies
Wednesday, July 5, 2017/Marketing
A strong, identifiable brand tells clients and prospects what your agency can do for them. Ultimately, your brand can set you apart from competitors and attract new clients. For that reason, it’s important you start with it when determining how to market your insurance agency.
Tips for Building an Independent Insurance Agency Brand
Selling insurance is what you do. But there are many independent agencies vying for attention, so you need to give prospects a reason to buy from you rather than from them. That’s why the Entrepreneur article “The Basics of Branding” suggests you start by answering questions like...
- What is your mission?
- What are the benefits of your products or services?
- What qualities do you want clients to associate with you agency?
Questions like these are important to ask in many business situations. See "" for more details.
Once you establish what makes your insurance agency unique, the author recommends branding it by:
- Making a great logo. A distinctive, visually appealing logo attracts attention, but not everyone has the skills to create one. Consider outsourcing this project.
- Creating your brand messaging and voice. Write out what you want your brand to say, and how you want to say it. Make sure your employees understand the brand and that they communicate that brand online and off.
- Coming up with a tagline. Create a short, memorable statement that illustrates the core of your brand.
- Integrating your brand. Your brand needs to influence everything from your email signature and advertising to how you interact with customers. Many agencies develop a brand book employees can turn to for guidance.
- Being true to your brand. Consistently deliver what your brand promises. If not, customers won’t return to your business nor will they refer other clients to you.
Finally, you want to be consistent in your branding. Using the same tagline, color schemes, and logo reinforces the message you want clients and prospects to take away from their experiences with your agency.
Avoid These Insurance Agency Branding Pitfalls
As IA's article "The Dos and Don’ts of Agency Branding" points out, the focus on risk can make branding in the insurance industry tricky. But it’s still important to execute it well. Here are a few of things your brand shouldn’t do:
- Don't exclude potential clients. Create a brand that’s welcoming to clients of different backgrounds. Don’t alienate women, members of the LGBT community, people of color, or other diverse, overlooked niches.
- Don't focus too much on insurance. Integrate other relevant services like policy audits or financial services into your offerings. That way, you not only insure your clients but also advise them on managing their assets.
- Don't align your agency with subpar insurance companies. New insurance agencies don’t have the reputation that big name insurance companies do. Emphasize that your independent agency works with top-rated insurers to supply them with the best products.
Getting appointed isn't easy, especially when you're a new agent. Luckily, there are ways around the requirements. Learn what they are in the "Alternatives to Direct Appointments for Independent Insurance Agents."